Writing by Eszter Mengyán
After the color counseling, I felt very confident at the same time, but I suddenly became insecure. What about my clothes that don’t officially fit well? How can I then wear the adored black? And what if a shade doesn’t work really well, yet I really like it? Then I can never wear it again? Even after color counseling, we can wear anything, the focus is on how it is. Based on Printa’s spring collection, I’ll show you my favorite tricks. Come on with Color Advice 2.0.
In the previous post I explained what is the basis of color type analysis, why it is worthwhile to learn how to know our color type as the basis of an environmentally conscious wardrobe. Knowing your own color type affects everyone differently, as we are all different, we like different shades, and different shades evoke different reactions.
For example, someone avoids the color red because they don't like it, but it still has a shade of red that suits them. What’s more, it’s conceivable that it looks its best in the most vibrant shades of poppy red, yet it doesn’t feel like yours. Others don’t wear brown because it’s her mom’s color and she doesn’t want to dress like that, even though she looks very good to her. Brown is badly marketed anyway, it is often considered an old color, although it has fantastic shades that can be combined very fresh and fresh. Some people can’t let go of certain shades because they find it beautiful, even though they see exactly in the counseling that it’s not good for them. And there are those who suffer from the fact that their beloved colors don’t suit them well, they don’t like the shades of their color type, so they can’t wear any, so they stay with dark blue or black clothes that mean safety.
How to wear shades that don't officially look good
I confess that basically every shade can be worn, it just doesn't matter ...
... where it is inside the attire,
… Are we applying makeup that day,
... how much surface the given shade appears on,
... what do we want to express with the outfit of the day,
... how much we want to see,
... how much we can offset if the shade isn't right.
Take my example! I myself belong to the summer color type, so sunny, grayish, ashy, soft shades look really good, like light, delicate lemon yellow or pale jeans. On the other hand, I find the shade of mustard in Printa's spring 2021 collection beautiful, which doesn't really work well, but I really like it. Of the mustard-colored pieces, I would definitely not choose the canvas overall , but rather the mustard-colored cotton slouchy pants so I can wear a top that matches my own color type - like lemon yellow.
The question may arise as to how much it is worth mixing cool and warm shades. This is because the color types system classifies cool and warm shades into separate types, they do not appear in the same palette. This is also one of the critiques of dressing by color type, which you can also read about in the previous article . If you ask my opinion: I think it’s amazingly exciting to see them side by side, they often amplify each other’s qualities. Creatively combined, they give a very special look.
If, on the other hand, I fell in love with the above-mentioned mustard canvas coverall so much that I couldn't leave it, I would definitely wear makeup. a refreshing makeup can enhance the contrasts on your face so you can wear more vibrant colors than what’s officially good. We may look fresh, so a less good shade will not make our face look as pale. You can play with makeup very well, let's take advantage of it. Of course, I don’t do makeup every day either, and I’m fine with my face without makeup either, but I consider it a tool that can boost my self-confidence and make me feel better about it in my skin.
Just to have my own story: I redeemed it for two years after my last color type analysis from my last brown turtleneck, until then I was happy to wear it. I selected it because, on the one hand, my material was starting to break down and, on the other hand, my allergy to rabbit hair was getting stronger, which was present in that vintage sweater as a percentage. However, after the color advice, I always wore makeup.
I’ve been photographed several times in various magazines where the stylists always gave me beige clothes for some reason. Beige doesn't look as good as gray - when we think of basic shades - but I never protested because I always knew that a good make-up and post-production would add a lot to my look.
Although black isn’t officially good, I still have black garments to this day because they are well-used, well-combined pieces that give me confidence and have some strength and elegance in them that I really love. Black officially fits just one color type, the winter type, really well without makeup. However, I only and exclusively talk to those who have very light hair, eyes and skin, and dark blue is much more beneficial even with makeup.
Wear it easy for everyone else, especially away from the face, such as a skirt . But if you choose a black cardigan , a blazer, a jacket, you can always add a shade that suits your color type. For example, I usually wear my second hand leather jacket with a colored scarf, or I wear a t-shirt or outfit that is dominated by the shade (s) of my own color type.
A black top like a deep-cut body at the back , a black ruffled blouse
And if you still want to buy by our color type?
I don't want to talk to anyone about that either, so I've been reviewing Printa's spring 2021 collection and revealing which outfit I would recommend for which color type if I was VERY strict. (As it turns out, I'm not.)
- UNIQUE Recycled Women's Overalls - Fall Color Type
- UNIQUE Recycled Women's Cargo Pants - Fall Color Type
- Beige long knitted cardigan - spring color type (combined with bright colors), autumn color type
- Floral white women's t-shirt - winter color type, summer color type (mainly summer-winter or cold summer subtype), spring color type (mainly spring-winter or vivid spring subtype)
- ZW mustard skirt - autumn color type
- Gray tencel top - summer color type, winter color type
- Black, cut-out back - winter color type, vivid spring / spring – winter subtype
- Mustard tencel leotard - autumn color type, from spring color type to warm spring / spring – autumn subtype
- Black tencel jersey - winter color type, vivid spring / spring – winter subtype
- ZW patterned dress - winter color type (due to strong contrasts)
- Mustard double-breasted blazer - autumn color type, from spring color type to warm spring / spring – autumn subtype
- Natural organic cotton double-breasted blazer - spring color type and autumn color type
- UNIQUE Recycled ruffled dress - autumn color type
- ZW rustic women's poplin dress - fall color type and bolder spring color types who can throw up with their own shades
- ZW kimono sleeve rustic women's poplintop - see above
- ZW Kimono Sleeve Blue Women's Poplintop - Summer Color Type, Winter Color Type, Spring Color Type
- Mustard Cotton Slouchy Women's Pants - Fall Color Type
- Natural organic cotton rubber slouchy women's pants - spring color type, autumn color type
- Blue multi-pocket women's sweater - I would add this sweater to any color type
- Rust floral sweater - autumn color type, from spring color type to warm spring / spring – autumn subtype
- ZW floral top - winter color type, including cold summer), or vivid spring within the spring color type
- UNIQUE Recycled denim overshirt - autumn color type
- Gray canvas overshirt - summer color type, winter color type
- Beige cord overshirt - spring color type, autumn color type
- Gray cotton women's cargo pants - mainly for summer and winter color types, but combined with any of their own colors